Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Book Review: Moonglass by Jessi Kirby


Title: Moonglass
Author: Jessi Kirby
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publishing Date: April 24th 2012
Length: 232 pages
Keywords: YA, contemporary, romance, friendship, loss, beach
Source: Bought

I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I’ve thought maybe my mother drowned in both.Anna’s life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It’s bad enough that she has to leave her friends behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love—a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean’s tide means that nothing—not the sea glass that collects along the shore, and not the truths behind Anna’s mother’s death—stays buried forever.

Summary by Goodreads




 

Anna's story begins on a rainy and windy day, indeed fitting her mood. She and her father just packed up everything they own and are on their way to their new home. Moving to a new town is never easy. New school, friends and crush.
And Anna's finding a friend pretty quickly after moving to Crystal Cove, or better said she's found. Anna's trying to keep her distance but no one can resist cheerful and devoted Ashley. They both join the school's cross-country team and the sportive meetings and bubbly personality of Ashley add a lot of positive energy to the story. 

Tyler is a local lifeguard who offers Anna a new chance for love and trust. Their relationship has its sweet and daring moments. It was a welcome change to see there were no major conflicts troubling Anna and Tyler's relationship because they deserved some quiet and peaceful time to find to each other. I just wish we had more time to follow the development of their love story.

MOONGLASS is not only sunny beach days. It's also a story about regret and a terrible family tragedy. Short falsh backs to the past show how much Anna's remembering of one unfortunate night many years ago. You can see that the death of Anna's mother still affects her very much. The beach will always be a reminder of her lost mother and at the same time a source for Anna to draw new energy and recover.

This all beach-themed read takes you to the beautiful place of Crystal Cove with wide long beaches and shimmering blue water. Jessi Kirby's writing magically makes it your temporary second home. How I wish I lived there. Scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming, surfing, a bonfire and BBQs are only a selection of the fun beach activities we are invited to partake in.

The first book I read by Jessi Kirby was IN HONOR, followed by GOLDEN and MOONGLASS. One thing they have in common are their unsatisfying endings, making us leave our characters too early and too abrupt after major-life changing events. To sum up, I can say that I did enjoy all of Jessi Kirby's novels so far and with nearly over 230 pages MOONGLASS serves as a quick beach read, one I would always recommend.







4/5 **** MOONGLASS – A contemplative and uniquely soulful beach read.

A right portion of soothing, lulling beach moments and kisses stolen in the moonlight are Jessi Kirby's formula to heal a broken heart. Like sea glass her debut has many facets and colors to shine with, so take your time to find them all!






He didn't move. I didn't either. I could feel another moment creeping up on us, and I willed him to just tilt his head in and kiss me before I had to swim in and deal with what waited for me on the beach. But he didn't. And too quickly I found myself kicking away through the black water, regretting that I didn't either. ― p. 77






MOONGLASS you might also enjoy UNBREAK MY HEART by Melissa C. Walker who invites you to join Clementine's sailing trip. SECOND CHANCE SUMMER by Morgan Matson, set at a lake house, is a pensive read about great loss and rekindling a past love. And THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY by Jenny Han is the ultimate beach read and it's a trilogy. 








* Can't get enough of Jessi Kirby's books? Her newest book GOLDEN was released May 2013!

* Click here for an excerpt of MOONGLASS.

* For further information about Jessi Kirby and her books visit www.jessikirby.com

7 comments:

  1. I've yet have to read one of Kirbi's books even though all I hear are just amazing things. I am a little weary now, as I truly hate open endings. I want things packed up nicely for me. Still, this one sounds cute and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Danny, do read them!:) They are not exactly open endings. It just felt like there wasn't enough time to say Goodbye in the end. I always have that feeling when things are solved on the very last page instead of two chapters before the story ends.

      Delete
  2. this book is now on my wishlist :D sounds like a really great contemporary read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read In Honor from the author and I liked it! Can't wait to read more of her books. Moonglass sounds like fun, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you, you're on a roll with posting reviews. I don't like it when endings are rushed. Not only does it make me feel cheated, but also the story itself. I am interested in this one. Maybe next summer when I need a quick read.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I really liked this book, it had great emotion and I loved the sea glass. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I preferred Moonglass over In Honor because Rusty was kind of a jerk whereas Tyler is sweeter. I still need to read Golden.

    ReplyDelete